Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Dog Rescue World. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Twix's turn; ... housetraining failures, behaviour or health!
Topic Started: 15 Oct 2012, 06:56 (994 Views)
jackied
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
After my thread about whether Lucy's scrabbling was health or behaviour, here's another one. Sigh!

Increasingly Twix is peeing and/or pooing indoors overnight. Never in the daytime except one time when he was frightened by the burglar alarm and that was in a different room. He always does it in the same place (the downstairs loo :laugh: ) It has been going on for several weeks, and he does go out into the garden for quite a while at bedtime and I always see him pee on several things before he gets into the Outer Darkness. It's more likely to happen if he's had a bone.

Other than that he has been a bit more neurotic again this last week or so - fear of leaving the house (through the front door) has worsened again, more stressed at agility this week. My gut feeling says it's behaviour not health, in the sense that it's not because he has an upset tummy (clearly) and probably not a urine infection (or he'd have trouble lasting in the daytime, and he can still go for hours and hours).

In which case, what should I do about it?

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

any fireworks being going off around you recently
Quote Post Goto Top

jackied
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Not heard any, and he's not generally noise sensitive (thank goodness).

BunterJo
Member Avatar
Witchy Grumpy Cow
[ *  *  * ]
Sorry - I've read it but have no answers for you :err:

From what you have said, it appears to be behavioural, but can't guess as to why :dunno:

Taffy sometimes has issues around going in the garden. It's usually due to there having been something like fireworks or other loud noise perhaps when he is out there. All I've done is gone back to basics with housetraining, so gone outside with him and rewarded with his favourite fishy treats when he's 'performed'.

Hope you can get to the bottom of it :hug:

jackied
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
I just can't decide whether to take him to the vet. He doesn't seem quite right but nothing I can put my finger on - except that this afternoon I've realised t hat he is reluctant to jump. I've felt him all over but it's very hard to tell if he's in pain because he doesn't like being prodded and pulled about at the best of times.

BunterJo
Member Avatar
Witchy Grumpy Cow
[ *  *  * ]
It is difficult isn't it?

TBH, although I thought it was the case, I had no idea Bella was so sore along her spine and obliques :( Not until I took her to the Smart Clinic and once someone who knew what they were doing (ie not me!) started to touch her, it was flamin obvious!

Brammie
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
The only thing that sticks out from your post to me is the bone comment. If hes struggling to jump could be having some pain in his back when going to the loo and perhaps holding on to his poo?

I only ask because my phantom pooer (Ash) gets quite constipated and holds on for too long if he doesnt have a good mix of veg/meat/oil causing pain in his back and sometimes indoor peeing.

If you have a good vet i would always suggest a chat even if they cant touch Twix.

I hope you can get it sorted
Edited by Brammie, 15 Oct 2012, 20:29.

jackied
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
That's interesting Brammie - given that Twix had a very nasty spinal infection a couple of years ago. Definitely a vet trip. Sigh.

jackied
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Vet couldn't find anything, but has given him metacam so if she missed something sore it may give us a clue what is going on. She was very nice and he was pretty good - didn't try to eat the receptionist, took treats from vet. Nobody in the waiting room which helps enormously (even though we sprint through it).

One thing that impressed me was that the vet (one I've seen before but not with Twix) had taken the time to read all his notes before we went in (she joked about having to stop for a tea break in the middle :laugh: ).

jackied
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Update: only 48 hours of Metacam but no toilet issues and slightly livelier. So it may be helping.

BunterJo
Member Avatar
Witchy Grumpy Cow
[ *  *  * ]
Sounding good :goodjob:

jackied
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Back to resisting walkies this this morning. :( And I think he is refusing to play bow on command (it's just possible he's forgotten the cue, but he's usually pretty good.) However he did do a couple of jumps in the garden yesterday much more fluently than he had been doing. So I still can't decide if the Metacam is helping or not.

jackied
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Definite improvement which is good. I have to call the vets tomorrow - I don't know what she'll do next, though - keep him on metacam, stop the metacam and see if he gets worse again, or try to investigate what is causing the pain. I think I'd be happy them to do further investigation themselves, as he's got a lot better about going to them, but I shall get wibbly if they want me to take him elsewhere for an MRI or something.

Barneynpip
Member Avatar
Provider of noms + frisbees
[ *  *  * ]
So tricky knowing what to do for the best, isn't it. Glad he's feeling perkier though :goodjob: .

jackied
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Plan is to reduce the Metacam slowly and see if the symptoms come back.

emm19
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Poor Twix, we went through this with Roscoe in the summer. He was not 'right' and the vet struggled to find anything, we watched him intently over a few days and noticed a very very slight stiffness in one leg, it turned out he had the start of arthritis in his hip. He was started on Previcox which really didn't agree with him so he was taken off that and started on some very expensive supplements that the insurance have paid for. These have made a big difference, and we think Roscy pooing in the house was because he was anxious because he was in pain. Hope Twix continues to feel better. The vet sounds like a nice one :)

« Previous Topic · Training & Behaviour · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Theme by tiptopolive of Zetaboards Theme Zone