Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Dog Rescue World. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
I'm in a pickle
Topic Started: 7 Jan 2015, 08:11 (758 Views)
MistyTwix
No Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
We've had Misty our lovely little friendly cat for many years. She has bossed around a mad Labrador cross and a collie in the past. But when we got a new dog about 4 years ago she decided that she didn't like living with her and stopped going out, retreated to upstairs and became an indoor cat. I was very unhappy with this situation as she still wanted attention from me but could only have a little prior to me going to sleep and it felt very unfair. My son moved into a flat about 6 months after Misty had decided to live upstairs and he took her to his flat where it was just him and his girlfriend and Misty settled and was very content. I still pay the insurances and for her food etc and anytime they go away on holiday Misty comes to me. She takes a little while to settle again but since its for a short period of time and very infrequently its ok. She has lived with my son for about 3 years now. My son and his now wife have gone off travelling this weekend for 4 months. I was happy to take Misty back - she is after all my responsibility and she's back ensconced upstairs at home. She has access to two bedrooms (one of which is mine and my DH). DH has always been a bit sensitive to cats but could cope as long as they don't stay too close to him for very long.
For the past few nights DH has been struggling to sleep, quite chesty and unsettled. However last night he was wheezing and had to go sleep on the sofa. I just know its being caused by the cat who is sleeping under our bed during the day and on top of it when I go to bed (its the only time she gets attention from me sadly).

I don't know what to do. She doesn't want to integrate with us downstairs and its not fair stressing her out but my husband cannot continue with this either. I feel awful for both of them. I don't want to rehome her cos my son wants Misty back when he returns at the end of April and anyway she is about 15 so the chances of anyone wanting such an old lady (although she is very fit and well) are slim. Does anyone have any ideas or solutions they could suggest? This is really difficult. I cannot afford to put her into boarding for four months so that isn't an option.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

peggysmum
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
oh that is a difficult one. could you leave the bedroom window open. get an air purify to remove the allergens :dunno: try some petal clense which you put on the cats fur. or dose hubby up with anti hysts, or find someone else to look after your hubby for a while, or mysty.
i did get an air purifier for peggy when she started with her sneezing, cant say it stopped her sneezing but i did notice it took a lot of dust out of the room and i hardly had to dust, really must get a new filter for it.

MistyTwix
No Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
I shall go look at petal cleanse and air purifiers

kimw
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
My sis and her lad are allergic to cats and other furries and she uses petal cleanse. She didn't notice a difference immediately but says that it has worked for them. Piriton also works well when they visit me and I have 7 cats... oh, along with daily vacuuming!

eta... they have one cat... a rescued lad that just arrived in their garden one day, in a sorry state, no owners found so he stayed.
Edited by kimw, 7 Jan 2015, 20:59.

MistyTwix
No Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Delighted to update you all with the news that a change of bedlinen and general vacuuming seems to have done the trick. Misty seems much happier too. she has come out of her hiding place and comes to me when I am in my bedroom - the loud purrs overnight though are really noisy.

kimw
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Great news :)

Kit Cat
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Glad you found a solution. It was probably the break from the cat & then the cat returning that has set him off. My son has grown up around dogs and cats & has never had a problem with them but since he moved out 6 months ago everytime he comes home now he gets wheezy & sneezy

« Previous Topic · Cat and Other Animal Chat · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Theme by tiptopolive of Zetaboards Theme Zone